12/26/08

The Captain Fires Back


Look what the mailman brung me! An actual autograph from Captain Marvel himself! Do YOU have Captain Marvel's autograph? No, you do not.

John Davey's letter says, "Enclosed is your punishment for your unflattering comments on 'Shazam'!" I deserve much worse punishment, wouldn't you say?


Davey gave me a call shortly after I posted my Shazam portraits. I was prepared to take a good beating for talking smack about the sad world of '70s television, but the good Captain couldn't have been a nicer fella (and you'll recall I assumed as much when I described his Captain Marvel as the sort of guy who would dive under your hood at the first sign of car trouble). I despeartely tried to convince Davey of my sincere affection for the wonderful Shazam show and he assured me he would not kill me if I sent him a print of his portrait.

I sent one to Jackson Bostwick, too, just to be on the safe side.

Weird encounters like this are the best part of immortalizing pop culture icons in caricature form. It's always nice to know that the subjects, or those close to the subjects, appreciate my goofball portraits rather than coming after me with torches as I always expect.

Thanks again to Mr. Davey for the autographed portrait - much better than the kick in the teeth I was asking for.

4 comments:

Jack Underwood said...

Please tell me you asked him "the question." You know, the one that goes "hey, did you realize at the time you were making possibly the worst TV program ever?"
I know there are tons of big actors who claim they knew what they were doing was total crap, but you gotta wonder what these guys were thinking...
And I would love to know what he got paid per episode...

Anonymous said...

"..much better than the kick in the teeth I was asking for..."

And DESERVED!

Darren in Savannah, of course! Merry CHristmaHanzuKwanukah

Al Bigley said...

I guess you now think you're cool, but do you have Reb Brown's (1979's CAPTAIN AMERICA) autograph, big man?

I didn't think so.

Al Bigley

Corvetteman said...

There was an episode of Shazam you can relate to it was called the "Show off". Also I have all there actors autographed pictures, Jackson Bostwick and John Davey who both played Captain Marvel (Shazam) as well as Joanna Cameron who played Isis....